Using a gate on the ground is useful in the folowing instances
- In a three ppoint start when you want to start on hand-lift
- In a standing two point start where you want to start on foot-lift
- In a 5-10-5 test or similar where you want to measure splits as foot or hand touches a line
Limitations exist in the following paradigms
- A gate on the groung makes a poor wifi access point see What is the Maximum Distance between iPad and the Access point Timing gate?
- Generally an UNO device is used for Sensing on the ground, because
- It’s laser sensor is lower than a dual beam gate (You would need to disable the top beam in a dual beam gate)
- It is more stable, particularly if the magnetic ground palte accessories are used.